Saturday, January 21, 2006

VIDEO-Calcutta Tabla Shopping

CLICK HERE or on the image to stream video.

We hit Calcutta downtrodden, exhauseted emotionally and physically, we were limping to the finish line...The journey from Nepal to Bodhgaya and then on to Calcutta had been arduous to say the least. We were almost stranded in Bodhgaya and could not take a rickshaw as we were told they were too dangerous at night and we would be robbed. The area is very unsafe and full of bandits and we only made our train by paying a local a relatively exhorbitant amount of money to drive us to the train station. When we arrived to Calcutta's dingey traveller's area we were in bad shape but needed to stick it out to finish buying our instruments. We spent a hot day searching through the various music stores and came away with a very nice set of tablas.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Benwell said...

Hi guys!
I'm about to set off on 2years+ of travels. I've reached the stage where things are scary and there's just a hint of doubt mingled with all the excitement.

Your blog helped me remember why I'm doing it! Thanks!

2:18 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

I absolutely love the track you have put under that video.

What is it, and where is it from?

Cheers
Tom

7:23 AM  
Blogger backpack_everyday said...

Great work guys.A lot of impressive videos with true experiences and feeling typed down by the side.

2:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Malcom and Ben!!!

Pia here!!! We met at the border of Laos with Thailand, and Ben in the same day ended up sleeping in the same rrom as me and Mette (the danish girl...)! Remember those two girls you took cooking classes with??? ahaha!! And did a tattoo together (by the way.. how does your look Ben???)

I can't belive that your journey is reaching its end!! I am so used to getting to know the places that i wich I could have visited through your travel and posts!!! Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia weren't enough!!! I am so glad that you managed to get to your goals and buy the instruments you have been looking for! Extremely happy!!!

When you guys get home, let me know how all went and I'll send you some of the pictures that I have taken in our last days together in Chiang Mai!!!

Thanks for sharing your journey memories and moments with me and everyone else!!!

Hope that all the rest goes well!!! thanks for bringing me a bit closer to a world that I don't know!!!

Beijinhos!!!
Pia

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home